Saturday, March 22, 2008

Day 1. The Flight - First Leg

Apparently you can't travel to China without a return ticket.

Well, that's what the lady at the United desk at the airport said anyway. It was a really cool and fun way to start off my trip. I had purchased a one-way ticket to Guilin, China about 2 weeks ago with no mention of need for a return ticket. In fact, I had gotten my Chinese Visa from the embassy in DC about a month and a half before that. The Chinese didn't seem to care if I had a return ticket or not either, but the buck stops at Helen.. or at least the little manual she was reading the rules out of anyway.

After much huranging and "round-about-ness", I got my way... and had to purchase a flight back out of China.

Speaking of China, United Airlines has potentially the worst in-flight movie selection I have ever seen. No, really. I was hoping for something that might involve Chuck Norris, or Charles Bronson - like "Death Wish 12". Or better yet, something with Sylvester Stallone pumping thousands of rounds of molten hot lead into the bellies of impoverished southeast Asian villagers.

"August Rush". That's what I got. It's about a kid who hears his parents singing in the wind of guitar strings... or something like that.














It wasn't the molten flesh carnage I was anticipating, that's for sure.

And yes, he finds his parents in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment