Friday, May 30, 2008

Ever had the desire to stand around and watch people lying on the pavement bleeding out, but not have to do anything about it?

If you said yes, you are a heartless jerk.

But, you would not be alone. Because if I polled the people in Yangshuo (and all of China from what I hear) then about 99.9% of people would have said yes to the above question.

I was witness to my second accident since in the past 2 months.

First accident was no biggie - A lady was walking across the road not looking for traffic at all (nobody does) when a lady riding a scooter (who was NOT looking forward, but behind herself as they always do) smacked into her.

WHAP!

Scooter - 1
Lady lying face down on the pavement - 0

Everybody just stood and looked at the lady lying on the ground. An Australian guy and I ran over and went to work. All the usual post- accident stuff that you do - and everybody just stood and watched. She was ok eventually. They took her to the hospital and did whatever they do


Second accident, not so kind. 2 days ago I was waiting for someone near a small river when I heard the "smack-griiiiind" of large machinery sliding on asphalt. I saw a large crowd of people who were...

(can you guess what they were doing?)

...Standing there watching. Two women face down in a large pool of blood. I was the ONLY one who went to help. C'mon people!?! One had a pretty bad head injury. So I attended to them both by myself with a crowd of 50 just watching.

Great.
Fantastic.
Wonderful. I'm elbow deep in blood and you're just watching.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I went to the hospital later in the day to check on them. The one with the bad head injury was still in rough condition... the other was ok.

Moral of the story here? Don't get hit by a large moving piece of metal in China unless you have a back-up plan after death.

7 comments:

  1. Joe,
    It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you are there to help those in need. Why do you think everyone stands around without helping? Thanks for the heads up. Next time I'm in China I'll watch out for fast moving metal.
    xoxoxo Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. People are strange. I am so glad you were able to minister to these people! We are also thankful you are ok after the earthquake!

    Take care of yourself,

    Laura O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way??!! Whats going on over there?? Thank-YOU Joe for being who you are and helping someone in need. It's wonderful to have you back at work on your blog, by the way.

    And those station wagons....I with the guy in Milwaukee, I want to see!!

    We love ya, take care of yourself ...for the rest of us of course! xoxooxoxoxooxoxo <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh.... welcome to my world. But, always good to be a man of action. Don't forget your ABC's. Airway, Breathing, Circulation. In that order. Don't move to the next one until the first is fixed. Unless of course you're elbow deep in blood... then just keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think that China is the only place that watches the blood run through the streets, think again... THis week in the B-town news.. the police cameras caught a man hit by a car in the middle of the street.. and for 4 plus minutes cars drove around him people walked by him and some people turned and walked away....all while he bled out. When one of the news people interviewed one of the FINE citizens of B-town and he was asked "why do people not stop to help people in need?" He simply replied...."Im busy..I got things to do"..... and he was Homeless...

    Rock on brother...stay safe and sanitary. B.R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joe! It's Alicia...sorry, I'm going to mooch off of Butch's ID. Anywho, we've been keeping up on your blogs...thanks for being faithful (well, you're doing pretty good anyways)! We're nothing but busy here which sucks in 100 degree heat! Yikes...how's everything there? Keep the updates coming...we love to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, how about you stop the excuses and update your blog. How's that for a novel idea?

    ReplyDelete