Friday, May 8, 2009

..."No but if you hum a few bars"

T.V. networks here (well, really "Network") have an uncanny ability to make up original songs for their shows that sound EXACTLY like famous movie theme songs. For instance, today while watching a program I heard both the Brave Heart theme song and the Pirates of the Caribbean (pronounced Care-e-bee-an) theme song. Played shamelessly over top of things like noodle commercials... or something like that. Everything from soap operas to "Imperial marches" on T.V. are accompanied by what I can only assume to be straight JACKED theme music.

This has developed into a little game for me. When I'm watching a soap opera (don't ask) and I hear a... borrowed song then I try to guess what movie it is from. This is harder than it sounds however when the Brave Heart theme is accompanied by a man slurping noodles. Blows any mental image you might have associated with that song.

This occurrence of the borrowed theme music goes along with my observation here of the "copying is always better than creating" mentality. And yes, you still get to claim that YOU thought it up yourself. No really! You promise, it is your original idea!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe, I just want you to know I read your posts and enjoy everyone of them. Check out my facebook page. We bought a home in the mountains. It's so quiet and beautiful. I love looking at your pictures. Keep them coming and stay safe.
    Love you, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete