Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Weekend 2 (Sat)

During the week I did all sorts of awesome stuff.

Which I'm not going to tell you about here. I will tell you about my second weekend here though :)

On the 5th (Sat.) we got a late start for a place called Moon Hill. We went and rented bicycles around 11:00 and proceeded to ride for the next hour in 110% humidity all up hill.

Really, it was all up hill. Not like dad's "when I was your age we walked to school..." type of up hill, but REALLY up hill the whole way. It was an arduous ride for the whole group honestly, especially considering the Chinese tendency to ride SUPER wobbly at 1/2 a mile and hour.

Thankfully we weren't going to climb some ridiculously high hill or anything...

At the base we ate a few pieces of a fruit called a Pomelo, and then we started the ascent. The winding stone steps took us up through a shady (albeit sweltering) path trees and Bamboo. On the way I carved my Chinese name into a piece of bamboo that was covered with other Chinese characters (which I idiotically forgot to take a pic of) and generally enjoyed the fact that I was climbing huge hill in China. It took us about 35 - 40 minutes to arrive beneath the arch (which you can see in the picture) where I snapped a few shots.

Then one of the girls (Sunny) and I decided to climb all the way ON TOP of the arch, as high as you can go. It was a MUDDY climb. I was wearing my flops, and I was using every ounce of my balance to keep from slipping off the side of the 2 foot path and tumbling down the 200 foot sheer drop on the side. Really, it was kind of hairy, which is why it was so enjoyable :)

The view from the top was definitely worth-it











We eventually made our way back down and biked back to Yangshuo (which went a lot quicker since it was now all down hill).

6 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moon Hill, how apropos. Lovely places. I can just feel how cool it is to think, "I'm climbing a hill in China"! Wish you had a picture of you and Sunny on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe the pictures are amazing. I was following your story as if I were there until you mentioned flip flops! That's where you lost me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, considering how humid and hazy the air looks, I think you would have been ok if you fell. It would have been like falling through molasses... or falling into Sunny's sweet eyes. Ha ha! Sorry, couldn't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha. Sunny's a nice gal. Married, 2 kids :) I'll post a pic at some point - you'll have to guess how old she is.. that's a topic for a whole other post in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Babe!
    Absolutely LOVE the photos! What an incredible once in a lifetime experience. I laughed out loud at some of what you wrote... like the BBQ. But I could only hold my breath as you climbed to that spot where so many other brave ones before you have SLIPPED TO THEIR DEATH!!!!
    You are a wild and crazy guy, thats for sure. Just who raised you anway???

    ReplyDelete