Sunday, April 27, 2008

what's in a name...

Well, being as the Chinese put a lot of effort into their Chinese names, you would think there's a lot in a name. My Chinese name for example -

Jiang Si Fuo - My first name is Joseph, and Jiang Si Fuo sounds phonetically close. But secondly, SiFuo means "like Buddah" (also can be used as "a kind teacher"). I was given this name my first week here because they said that I reminded them of Buddah, in all his kindness.

Awesome. Great. Maybe there is something to this whole importance in names thing going on here in China...

and then you learn a Chinese person's English name. I will list for you just a few of the names of the students at our school

Females -
Apple
Spider
Ice
Angel
Sunny
Rainbow
Lemon

Males -
Wolf
Tiger
Silence
Dorix

And I think to myself, "self, maybe names don't mean so much after all."

3 comments:

  1. "Dorix and Spider sitting in a tree..."

    I can hear them singing it now, it kind of warms the heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon, Lemon bo Bemon
    Bonana fanna fo Femon
    Fee fy mo Memon, Lemon!
    Repeat with the name Tiger!
    Pretty good, let's do Angel!
    Very good, let's do Joe!
    A little trick with Nick!
    The name game

    OK, you are probably too young to know this song, but I bet your parents aren't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what is Chinese for Amanda Lynn Rosenflynn?

    Man oh man, we talked about it and you actually did it! Now for your Japan trip...you're not allowed to go until I can go too!

    Your pictures are amazing! So jealous!

    Have you tried Zy-nabbing english for your chinese students? You should...it will make me giggle!

    ReplyDelete